Salutations. Thanks for dropping by and reading.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Outlaw Roots






Outlaw country goes just as far to the crib for me. I can recall having records from Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash, and Dwight Yoakam. One of the earlier memories I had was the street I grew up on Lemonade rd (yes after the drink). It was a old country road that eventually the pavement would end and become a dirt road. Right before the transition from pavement to dirt was a long drive way with a solid black mail box and in huge white letters was the name “Cash”.

Years I would think that is was Johnny Cash’s house while riding my bike past on a daily basis. Back in 1984 was my first year of school and that year in kindergarten we had got to have a party on Friday. We were allowed to bring a record to school. There was only two of who brought any music that day. Someone had brought in “Thriller” by Michael Jackson while I brought in the less popular of two with “The Johnny Cash children’s album”.





I got a fair share of heckling and laughter for it. It really didn’t bother me. Later that year Hank Williams Jr. & David Allen Coe were playing a show in town. My mother actually signed me out of kindergarten to go and see the show at 5 years old. It was laying down a foundation for rest of my life.

One night the whole family and I went to a steakhouse in town and saw the Charlie Daniels bus parked outside and sure enough inside was the great Charlie Daniels. I can’t tell you how many times that I would hear “The devil went down to Georgia”. Mom would play Staler brothers, Ronnie Milsap, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb , T.J Sheppard and like all of these great songs that I hear them today and just blows me away. Johnny Cash always stood out to me even as young child. It blows me away to still get chills when I hear that voice.

Waylon Jennings was the narrator for “Dukes of Hazard” on every Friday night at 8pm right before “Dallas”. Its nuts how I can remember it in such great detail. Jerry Reed was in “Smokey and the Band” and I even recall a episode of “Scobby- doo”. I remember having to go to the grocery store with mom and always getting a can of Crisco and thinking of Loretta Lynn commercials. My granny had done some family tree work and her maiden name was “Parton” and discovered was blood kin to Dolly. Recently I do some tracking and found I am kin to a one Bobby Wolfe who makes dobro’s and respirator guitars.


I had gotten married by a fellow by the name Rev. Bill Guy who was Johnny Cash’s cousin. He told me many stories of John and shared pictures. My son Christian was born the day Waylon had passed. I Beg the ex-wife to “lets name him Waylon” and I guess you can see why she is a ex now. HaHa… So this Brand of country I was brought up on it and I lived and still to this day I do. It’s the hardcore blue color man’s soundtrack. It for the helpless, poor and forgotten. Now days the more mainstream has became so water down and almost pop. Its lost its soul to say the least. Music Row has gotten a formula and they are squeezing it for all it is. But, thanks to people such as Hank “Shelton” Williams 3, Wayne “the train” Handcok , Roger Alan Wade , Dale Watson ,Shooter Jennings and Unknown Hinson. They are out there living it and breathing new life it. I’ll always say that Willie Nelson’s “Red Headed Stranger” is the best album. Hiram Hank Williams was 10 years ahead of Bill Haley and the Comets and Elvis. This is my roots and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.


Jason ”Mater” Robinson






----------------
Now playing: Roger Alan Wade - Everything To Me
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

"J-Rob a holics"

Blog Archive

Things to know....

My photo
Spartanburg, SC, United States
"High Powered Mutant not even considered for mass production...too weird to live and too rare to die....one of God's own prototypes...good American too" -Hunter S. Thompson-